20 ways to live more in the moment
Relax. Breathe. Let Go. Repeat.
Let's get real. Planning ahead and reflecting on the past are so much easier than focusing on THE NOW.
That is where I try to live- The Now. It is a place where you don't stress about what you have on your plate for tomorrow or regret how you handled a situation yesterday. How do you get there? Below are 20 tricks that I find helpful.
1. Stop in your tracks and pay attention. Notice the small details in the pavement, tree bark, wrinkles in your skin, or the way the light breeze feels against your bare skin.
2. Listen to the sounds around you- the white noise, the quiet hum of the wind, and traffic outside your window.
3. Take deep breaths. When you breathe in say to yourself, "let", when you exhale say, "go". Let. Go. Let. Go. Let. Go.
4. Meditate. Clear your mind and focus on your breath.
5. Practice yoga or stretch. I like to sit in Pigeon or Downward Dog for 20 breaths each. Breathe through the pain.
6. Turn off your phone and put it out of sight. Try to do this for 1 hour each day or after a certain time each night.
7. Draw a bath with epsom salt and candles. Throw a little olive oil and thyme in there too for sexy, smooth skin and an intoxicating aroma.
8. Cook a healthy meal for yourself or someone you love. Find a new recipe and experiment. I challenge myself to do at least one new recipe per week.
9. Lay on your back and put your legs up against a wall. Sit here for 10 minutes and breathe deeply. Get lost in your breath.
10. Go for a meandering stroll or bike ride.
11. If you have a pool or body of water near you, float.
12. Organize your closet or your junk drawer. Find a new way to display your accessories that shows them off.
13. Get a sketchpad and draw. Who cares if it looks likes a 5 year old drew it?
14. Create a vision board. I use tumblr for mine.
15. Get lost in a book. Find a classic that you've always wanted to read but never found the time.
16. Get up close and personal and stare at yourself in a mirror. No judgements, just observe.
17. Take the long way home and explore the back roads.
18. Try a natural beauty remedy like an avocado face mask or coconut oil hair treatment.
19. Dry brush your body, rinse off in the shower, then massage your entire body with oil.
20. Talk to yourself. It's healthy to have an open, honest dialogue with yourself.
Living in The Now gives you the freedom to focus on yourself, relax, create peace of mind and bring yourself back to real time. Learn from your mistakes but move on from the past. Enjoy your life. In the wise words of Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."